“Homemade” Bread Bowls are simple and fun to make. I started with frozen bread dough and used a Quick Thaw Method to really get these off to a fast start. Here is how:
Quick Thaw Methods
There are two basic ways to quickly thaw frozen bread dough.
- The first method is to wrap the frozen bread dough in parchment paper and place in a loaf pan. Set the frozen dough in a 325 degree oven for about 12 minutes and it should be thawed.
- The second method is even faster! Spray a glass bowl with non stick cooking spray. Lay the frozen bread dough in the bowl and spray the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 15 seconds on high. Uncover the dough and flip it over. Re-cover and repeat until the bread is thawed. Easy, huh?
- Frozen bread dough ( one loaf will make two bowls)
- Cut the thawed bread dough in half. Each loaf will make 2 bowls.
- Roll the pieces into balls, Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with oil and cover with a piece of greased plastic wrap.
- Let set out on the counter until doubled in size -- about 3 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the pan.
- To make the bread bowls, slice into the top of the bread at an angle and remove the top. Fill with a soup, stew or salad.
Cut each thawed loaf into two pieces and roll into balls. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush with oil and cover with greased piece of plastic wrap.
Let rise on counter until doubled in size—about 3 hours.
Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Cut the tops off, hollow out slightly and fill with a stew…or salad…Enjoy!
This is such a great way to enjoy stew. Here I’m serving my Provencal Beef Stew in the “Homemade” Bread Bowl.
Remember….Let’s make life special by sharing great food with our family and friends!