I couldn’t resist listening to Simon & Garfunkel songs while I was cooking this baked chicken breast !
Baked chicken breast is an absolute classic and is both incredibly good and easy for even the beginner cook.
The combination of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme is absolutely irresistible when combined with garlic and butter and baked with chicken.
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! It is delicious! The preparation is easy and with these step-by-step photos — you can’t miss. So, get set to hear your family and friends sing your praises when you share this great dish with them! Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 lemons, each cut in half
- 1½ sticks of butter, room temperature
- 4 split chicken breasts, with the skin and bone ( about 1¼ pounds each)
- Seasoned salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Fresh sprigs of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Rinse the chicken breasts under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Use a fork to mash the butter. Finely chop the fresh herbs. Chop the garlic. Mix the fresh herbs and the garlic into the softened butter. Divide the butter mixture into 4 equal parts.
- Carefully run your fingers between the chicken skin and breast meat, separating the two from each other to create a pocket.
- Using your hands, smear the herb butter mixture underneath the skin, making sure the butter mixture is evenly distributed on the chicken meat under the skin.
- Drizzle each stuffed breast with the juice from ½ of a lemon. Place the ½ lemon under each breast in the baking sheet.
- Drizzle each stuffed breast with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with seasoned salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Then move the baking sheet closer to the top of the oven and broil for just a minute or two to finish crisping the chicken skin.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh springs of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.
Cleaned chicken…ready to go…
Mash the softened butter with a fork
If possible, use fresh herbs and fresh lemons in this recipe. They really ramp up the flavor!
Chop the fresh herbs and garlic cloves and add them to the softened butter. (You may want to check out my Success Secret for Chopping Fresh Herbs; my Success Secret for Chopping Fresh Thyme; and my Success Secret for Chopping Fresh Rosemary)
Using your fingers, make a pocket between the skin and meat on the chicken breast…
Stuff each pocket with 1/4 of the butter and herb mixture.
Drizzle each chicken breast with the juice from 1/2 lemon. Place each 1/2 lemon under each chicken breast.
Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoned salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Ready for the oven……
Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. Then finish under the broiler for a minute or two to add extra crispness to the skin.
Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh sprigs of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.