Prime Rib with Herb Crust and Horseradish Sauce is delicious and impressive. I love to serve this for dinner parties or special family occasions. Have your butcher cut the prime rib roast for you. I always bake at least a 5 pound roast. You can allow 1/2 pound per person when ordering the roast. If you would like to serve wine with this dinner, The Velvet Palate recommends Cicchitti – a Gran Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon from Argentina. (Tasting Notes)
To view the YouTube step by step tutorial video for this recipe, click here: Prime Rib with Herb Blend Crust and Horseradish Sauce
- 5 to 6 pound boneless prime rib roast ( or larger)
- ½ cup Kosher or Sea salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoon parsley
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup dried rosemary
- ¼ cup dried red chilis
- 2 tablespoons coarse black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- olive oil to rub on roast
- Horseradish sauce: Sour cream and horseradish
- Blend the salt, lemon zest, parsley,sun dried tomatoes, rosemary,dried red chilis, black pepper, dry mustard, dried basil and vegetable oil together and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool. (Note: you can do this step a day or two ahead of time and store the herb blend in a zip lock bag)
- Let the prime rib roast come to room temperature and place in a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Coat the roast with the Herb Blend.
- Place in a 450 degree oven and bake prime rib for ½ hour then turn the oven down to 325 degrees. Roast for 15 minutes per pound.
- It will be perfectly medium rare at the end of the cooking time.
- To make the horseradish sauce, combine 1 cup of sour cream with 3 to 5 tablespoons of horseradish. Serve with the prime rib.
Combine the salt, lemon zest, parsley, sun dried tomatoes, rosemary, red chilis, pepper, dry mustard, dreid basil and vegetable oil in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Let cool.
Baked herb blend…..
Let the prime rib come to room temperature and place in roasting pan.
Drizzle with olive oil and pat the herb blend on the roast.
Ready for the oven…..
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake prime rib for 1/2 hour and then turn the oven down to 325 degrees. Roast for 15 minutes per pound. The roast will be perfectly cooked to medium rare.
To make the horseradish sauce, combine 1 cup of sour cream and 3 to 5 tablespoons of horseradish. Serve with the prime rib.
Enjoy this prime rib with a wonderful dry red wine.