My Provencal Beef Stew goes together in a snap and your crock pot does the rest of the work! This stew is full of hearty beef chunks, bacon, potatoes, baby carrots, whole pearl onions and mushrooms and cooks up in a tomato and brown gravy sauce. This is sure to warm you up on a cold winter day! Here, I’ve served Provencal Beef Stew in my “Homemade” Bread Bowls that are made with frozen bread dough. Check out that recipe too!
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 4 bacon slices, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 12 oz jars brown gravy
- 14.5 oz can diced peeled tomatoes with the juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound fresh whole baby carrots
- 8 new red potatoes, quartered
- 10 oz bag pearl onions OR 2 small onions, cut into eights
- 8 oz whole fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup red wine ( optional - but I always add it)
- In medium skillet, cook the bacon ( I use kitchen scissors to cut it up quickly) and the beef stew meat until browned. Do not drain.
- Combine the beef stew meat, bacon and liquid in the crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Ingredients..( The only thing I added was the optional 1 cup of red wine. I really like the depth of flavor the wine adds to this stew)
Use kitchen scissors to cut the bacon into pieces. Brown the bacon and stew meat in a skillet.
Add the browned meat along with the liquid from the skillet to a sprayed crock pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Note: If you are using the pearl onions, boil them separately for about 3 minutes, cut off the ends and the skins should slide right off. The other option is to use 2 small onions and cut them into eights , but I really like the look of the pearl onions best.
Now just set the crock pot on low and let it simmer away for 8 to 10 hours. You won’t believe the aroma that will fill your kitchen as this stew cooks! If you don’t have 8 to 10 hours to let this cook on low…no worries! You can let it cook on high for 3 hours and then turn it to low for another 3 hours and that will work just fine.
Here you see the finished stew in the crock pot…
I made my EASY “Homemade” Bread Bowls to serve this stew in. Velvet Palate also paired this with a great bottle of red wine.
Remember….Let’s make life special by sharing great food with our family and friends! Enjoy!