Shish Kabobs are absolutely perfect for EASY Entertaining or a special family meal! Shish Kabobs are so versatile… you can use beef ( as I have done here ), or chicken or pork tenderloin. You can even mix it up and use a combination of all three! The marinade for my Shish Kabobs will work on any of the meats you choose.
Another great feature of Shish Kabobs it that they can be prepared in advance and then grilled after your guests arrive. And, because the Shish Kabob has small pieces of meat and vegetables on the skewer – the grilling time is only about 10 minutes.
You don’t have to spend a lot on money on skewers. Wooden skewers work just fine and you can find them in any grocery store. Just remember that wooden skewers must be soaked in water for about 30 minutes prior to use. This keeps them from easily catching fire. Here are some examples of skewers:
I used the circular skewers for these kabobs.
Here are a few other success secrets:
- Be sure to marinate in the refrigerator to avoid food-borne bacteria
- Meats and vegetables should be cut in uniformly-sized 1 to 2 -inch cubes
- You may want to par-boil the onion and green pepper before skewering them if you like them fully cooked
- When using a marinade, a large heavy-duty zip lock bag works great
- Marinade is not necessary – you can just season the meat with herbs and spices if you prefer
- Kabobs can be grilled or broiled
- Be creative – Let your imagination run wild with different combinations of meat and veggies
Also — Be sure to check out my Success Secret and photos on how to make the cute citrus topiary that I made to garnish the platter of Shish Kabobs.
- 4 whole mushrooms
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 4 chunks of onion or shallots
- 1 green pepper cut into 1" wedges
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak cut into 10 to12 chunks ( or other meat )
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Brown sugar
- 3 shots ( or 9 tablespoons ) Bourbon
- ¾ cup orange juice
- Mix Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, Bourbon and orange juice together. Reserve 1 cup of the marinade to baste the kabobs as they grill. Cut meat into chunks. Use a fork to poke holes in the meat to help the marinade tenderize and flavor the meat. Place meat into large zip lock bag and pour the remaining marinade over the meat. Let marinate in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Thread the meat and vegetables onto the skewers. Grill about 5 minutes on each side, or until the meat is done.
Combine the Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, bourbon and orange juice.
Cut the meat into chunks. I use kitchen scissors to make this job quick and easy.
Use a fork to poke holes in the meat so the marinade will tenderize and flavor the meat.
Place the meat into a large heavy-duty zip lock bag. Reserve 1 cup of the marinade for basting the kabobs as they grill. Pour the remaining marinade over the meat. Seal and place in the refrigerator for several hours.
Prepare the vegetables for the kabobs.
Thread the meat and vegetables onto the skewers.
Serve the Shish Kabobs with a rice blend. I used this blend from Trader Joe’s:
Remember, let’s make life special by sharing great food with our family and friends! Enjoy!