Mexican Ceviche is out of this world! It is usually served as an appetizer with tortilla chips but I think it would also be lovely served as a main dish salad on lettuce leaves. I just returned from a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and while I was there, I had the opportunity to take a Mexican Cooking Class. This is a popular method of “cooking” fish and shellfish in Mexico by marinating it in either lemon or lime juice. Mexican Ceviche is a very popular appetizer served everywhere in Mexico and it is gaining popularity here as well. I have to admit that I did not think I would like Ceviche because I have tried Sushi many times and I just don’t like it. However, Ceviche is totally different both in taste and texture. It is quick to make, only has a few ingredients and makes a perfect addition to your next party! Here is how we made it:
Here is a quick and easy appetizer straight from Cabo San Lucas!
- 4 fresh shrimp, cleaned, shelled and de-veined, and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh cucumber (peeled)
- 1/8 cup chopped red onion
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh chopped jalapeno pepper
- Clean, shell and de-vein 4 large shrimp. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with 4 tablespoons of lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/8 cup peeled and chopped fresh cucumber, 1/8 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1/8 cup chopped red onion and 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh chopped jalapeno pepper (to taste).
- Marinate no longer than 30 minutes.
Here is the chef at Villa del Arco preparing for the Mexican Cooking Class.
Vickie and Jodi Weber…..ready for the cooking class
Clean, peel and de-vein 4 fresh shrimp.
Chop the shrimp and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and salt and pepper.
Add chopped tomato, chopped peeled cucumber, chopped red onion and chopped fresh cilantro.
Add chopped jalapeno to taste…
I would love to serve this as a first course for a dinner party — in martini glasses!
Here is a sampling of some of the other great appetizers we enjoyed on our trip:
Remember, let’s share great food with our family and friends! Enjoy!