Joan Lunden gave me this great grilled cheese sandwich recipe for quick lunchtime sandwiches that combine two favorites – pocket bread and grilled cheese! These are sure to be a new favorite!
- 4 six-inch plain or whole wheat pita pockets
- 4 ounces low-fat cheese ( cheddar, mozzarella, or Swiss), shredded or coarsely grated
- Non-stick vegetable oil spray
- Optional additions: 2 thin slices tomato, 3 thin slices onion, 1 piece crumbled, cooked turkey bacon, 4 this rounds dill pickles, 1 small mushroom, sliced and 1 tablespoon sliced, pitted olives
- Cut a small slice from one side of each pita to make an opening, and stuff one-fourth of the cheese and any optional additions into each opening. (Make sure that any optional addition is wedged in the middle of the cheese, so that the cheese melts evenly and the pita stays crisp.)
- In a preheated large skillet that has been sprayed with the nonstick vegetable spray, cook the stuffed pitas over4 moderate heat, covered, for 5 minutes a side or until crispy on both sides.
Grilled Cheese Pita’s…
Check out Joan Lunden’s website for lots of healthy living ideas: JoanLunden.com